Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Why should I get a second opinion? »ANSWER: Second opinions offer a different perspective on your options. Some doctors are more conservative and others more aggressive. There may be good arguments for different treatments, so getting a second opinion can be a good way to discover all of your options. No doctor can know everything or make the right decision all the time. A second opinion also serves as a general quality check – to make sure you’re really getting the most up-to-date, accurate diagnostic evaluation.
- Question: Why should I get a remote second opinion? »ANSWER: Depending on where you live and your level of mobility, your access to highly specialized care may be limited. MetisMD brings some of the world’s foremost experts quickly and directly to you and your physician, saving you time and money.
- Question: Do I need my physician's permission to obtain a second opinion? »ANSWER: No, but we do require you to sign off on our terms of service and provide your physician’s name, address, and contact information so that we can make sure he or she receives a copy of the second opinion report, and so we can communicate directly, if necessary.
- Question: What does my doctor need to do? »ANSWER: You can ask your doctor to fax or email us any pertinent clinical information that can help us in our re-review of your exam. This may include prior radiology reports and/or recent clinical notes. If your doctor directed you to get the second opinion, please have them fax a ‘re-read’ script to us. Our fax number is 800-419-6976.
- Question: How does the process work? »ANSWER: Working with MetisMD is fast and simple. Get started with our 3-step process: 1. Create an Account 2. Upload Your Scan 3. Receive Your Report (within 24-48 hours)
- Question: How do I get my images and results to MetisMD? »ANSWER:You can securely upload your scans to our PatientConnect portal. Or, if you prefer, you can also fax or email your original report and any other imaging reports. Alternate methods for getting your images to us are: (1) request that your imaging facility send us a CD/DVD, or (2) mail your films to us. Fax: 800-419-6976 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: MetisMD 415 North LaSalle St Suite 502 Chicago, IL 60654
- Question: Is MetisMD’s CloudConnect platform secure? »ANSWER: Yes. Using the latest cloud-based technology, our platform meets stringent HIPAA compliance.
- Question: How much do MetisMD services cost? »
- Question: What will my second opinion report include? »ANSWER: We are committed to providing you with detailed, accurate radiologic interpretations. Our reports are decisive and designed to specifically address your concerns and make recommendations when appropriate. If you have additional scans of the same type and anatomic area, we can easily compare your current exam to the previous scans. Using our image quality scoring system, we can tell if the scan was of adequate diagnostic quality, or if it needs to be repeated. At times, the proper type of scan is not initially performed. In this case, MetisMD will recommend the type of follow-up study you should receive. Download a sample report.
- Question: Can you discuss your findings with my doctor or me? »Our PatientConnect service includes a phone consultation with an expert radiologist. Additionally, we can share our findings with you in real-time by securely sharing our computer screens. Communication with your doctor is important. At your request, we are available to discuss our findings with your physician.
- Question: Are MetisMD’s services covered by insurance? »ANSWER: This is a ‘self-pay’ service. At this time, most health plans do not cover second opinions; however, there is increased interest in doing so and our policies may change in the future.
- Question: What subspecialties can you serve? »ANSWER: Our subspecialty interpretations feature high quality, detailed, well-written reports from the best radiologists in their field of expertise. MetisMD physicians are subspecialists in Neuroradiology, Orthopedic/Musculoskeletal, Body Imaging (ultrasound, MRI, CT, X-ray), Pediatric Radiology, Women’s Imaging (breast and gynecologic imaging), Vascular and Interventional Radiology, and Nuclear Medicine.
- Question: What happens after you upload your scan or sign up? »ANSWER: Within 24-48 hours of uploading your scan, you will receive a secure link to download your report via email.
- Question: Does MetisMD offer a satisfaction guarantee? »ANSWER: If you’re not satisfied, we don’t expect you to pay. That’s the MetisMD Promise, and your peace of mind. Contact us for more information.
MetisMD has a track record of providing expert second opinions that empower patients to regain control of their own health care. Click here for a list of our services.
Legal or Insurance Professionals: Learn more about how we can help.
Questions or Tech Help? Contact us at 800-695-8191